HomeHomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

A move to repeal law 305

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ignus
Admin

PostSubject: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:11 am

We live in a brave new world with an unprecedented level of wealth and security. I feel it is time for us to take the next step on our shining path and give yet more power to the people, this time in the form of trusting them to trade for themselves.

Speak up The People!
Back to top Go down
http://forum.melsonia.com
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 am

People are retarded. No.
Back to top Go down
Fobia

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 am

I agree as long as it doesn't force me to oath people forth and back.
Back to top Go down
Gunther

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 am

Oh yes please.
Some protocol would be nice though.
Back to top Go down
Ignus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm

This won't mean "flog whatever you can carry", so don't worry. This will change very little, just that people can optionally arrange some trade stuffs on the side (of course only sourced from their own direct hard work, taking communal stuff will still end you up beaten to death).
Back to top Go down
izodex

Location : All alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain.

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Wow big change.

I support this but in a limited fashion.

I agree that the things that individuals produce should be their own, and out of a sense of duty/Melsonian spirit will make extras for the greater good.

Is this talking about internal trading or external trading? Internal trading seems like it should be nominally forbidden since we are all in this together(though people do seem to tend to favor their friends and people who help them out). External trading seems like it should be the issue at hand.

I feel that a mental model for external trading should be as follows:

1: Goal oriented production (I want one of itemX so I execute a plan to get itemX)
2: Produce itemX for yourself (yay I met my goal, but I have already produced the ingredients and have a decent way of making ItemXes)
3: Produce itemX for Melsonia (For the greater glory that we should never perish from this earth yadda yadda...)
4: Produce a surplus (if it is a high demand item that continues to be snatched up out of the tool shed, make more until the snatching ceases because the evil consumer monster has been sated)
5: HermitX accosts me for a trade, it happens to be for itemX that I just spent the last week making piles and piles of. (since I am the creator of the requested trade item, I should have the right to go to the surplus storage of itemX and acquire one for trade with hermitX)

:note: This trade with hermitX should only happen after itemX has been made fully public long enough for full-blooded Melsonians to partake in the bounty.

That's my thought process on the subject, I hope ya'll agree.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Internal trade will continue much as it does now, and how it historically has worked in real life societies: with an unspoken understanding of shared debt. This is as simple as "he made me some cheese that I needed last week, so I'll make him the robe he is after now". It of course goes both ways, with people who are perceived as taking more than their due suddenly finding aid thin on the ground. Simple karma my good man, and very much in the spirit of Melsonia.

I agree with your desired mindset and I believe we won't get it by enforcing it, only by de-regulating trade completely and hoping that our people are mature and Melsonian enough to do what is best. Power to the people, and so on.

Of course if this does fall flat on its face we can always fix it, although I don't see that happening. We currently have the finest line-up in Melsonian history and are more picky with recruits than we have ever been. Have faith in your fellow Melsonians.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Experience and statistics trump faith.
Back to top Go down
Ignus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:36 am

You might want to compare these experiences against the current membership, and also appreciate that if someone wants to get around the law badly enough we can't stop them anyway.
Back to top Go down
Daniel277

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 am

I agree with Gunther in as much as some protocol would be a good idea

Clarifying with someone within the CPC as to if the desired item can't be made ourselves and if not the trade can go ahead sending a trading alt to wherever the trade is to occur at a time that would suit the CPC to be able to facilitate the return of the character.
Back to top Go down
izodex

Location : All alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain.

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:57 am

Ignus wrote:
Of course if this does fall flat on its face we can always fix it, although I don't see that happening. We currently have the finest line-up in Melsonian history and are more picky with recruits than we have ever been. Have faith in your fellow Melsonians.

Agreed.

PostSubject: Re: A move to repeal law 305   

Back to top Go down

A move to repeal law 305
Page 1 of 1